Week Five…Acquisitions!

Last week was an exciting week for us because not only did I get eight editors on board and reading submissions, we signed our first three authors, for a total of six acquisitions, and we know there are more to come. I’m going to list the acquisitions in a bit, and I’ll be posting more about each of them this week, but first I wanted to share some insight into the numbers.

As of last Tuesday, we had set aside not quite 70 manuscripts from the slush pile for rejection. 2 had been send revise and resubmit requests. And 1 had been acquired. The other 2 acquisitions came after Tuesday and didn’t come from slush, but came from direct submissions to me, from authors I’d worked with before. So, as of last Tuesday, 1 in 70 manuscripts had been accepted from the slush pile.

When Carina Press first announced we were opening, I got emails from several people (including one agent) and heard from others about forums and chat lists stating they’d heard Carina was not going to worry so much about quality and would be taking most everything submitted. I don’t really know where people heard that since it’s not something we’d have ever said, because it’s certainly not true! But, while I, and the other Carina Press team members, can say that’s not the case, it’s much easier to show it, via our statistics. Of course, the final proof will be when our books are available for purchase, but since that’s still months down the road, I’ll let the statistics do the showing for us!

Given all that, I’m incredibly excited to welcome the first three authors to Carina Press. I hope you’ll join me in congratulating them on their new contracts, and wishing them many (many) sales!

In order of “they said yes!”:

Shannon Stacey with her contemporary romance novel, Just Joe

Charlene Teglia and three erotic romance novellas about three djinn: Djinn and Sin, All Bottled Up and As You Wish

Carrie Lofty is bringing us a yet-to-be-titled historical romance (set in an unusual historical romance place).

We are so pleased to have Shannon’s, Charlene’s, and Carrie’s books for launch publication in 2010.

Coming this week: Stay tuned for further details of their books as well as up-coming announcements of more acquisitions I’ll be making. I’m not quite done hiring editors, I still have two more who will be joining us, so I’ll be working on that. Once I’m done, I’ll be introducing each of them here on the blog so everyone can get to know the Carina editorial team with their combination of awesome experience. This week I’ll be calling more authors with “the call” (yay!) but will also be sending out our first rejection letters, which is no fun. And in addition to all that, I’ll finally be starting the copy editor hiring process. It’s all coming together, isn’t it?

16 thoughts on “Week Five…Acquisitions!”

1. BarbHicks says:

This is very cool. I would love to know how to get involved with Carina Press. :) I am not an author but do reviews and other stuff. :)

2. Congratulations to Shannon, Charlene, and Carrie. How exciting for you. I can hardly wait to see what your books will look like. And thanks again, Angela for keeping us so well informed. This is all very exciting.

3. Terri H says:

Good luck, Carina, Angela, Shannon, Charlene and Carrie. Best wishes to all!

4. Andrew says:

Those books all sound so awesome, just by the titles :) The Djinn idea sounds very cool. Congrats to all!

Now I had a question. How far into the slush do the rejections you are sending go? Are they for the first three days still?

-Andrew

5. Sharyn says:

Just read an excerpt of Carrie Lofty’s book over at her site – can’t wait to read the rest when it comes out. :)

6. Congratulations to Shannon, Charlene, and Carrie! Celebrate in style, and enjoy this holiday season.
    Nice work, Angela. You are moving things along beautifully. I am off to check that my phone is working! LOL.

7. Thank you, everybody, for the good wishes. It’s very exciting and I have my fingers crossed for everybody still waiting for a response. Good luck!

8. Carrie Lofty says:

The excerpt Sharyn is referring is the opening chapter (unedited). You can find it here: http://www.carrielofty.com/Salzburg_1.html

I’m happy to be a part of this!

9. Pingback: Add Url Online
  10. Kwana says:

Congratulations to Shannon, Charlene and Carrie. Wishing them much success.

11. Thanks for the congrats, and cheers to Shannon, Carrie and the Carina team!

12. Angelina Barbin says:

Congrat to Shannon, Charlene and Carrie. I love to hear stories about ‘the call.’

I also want to say that all the writers I know expect Carina Press to use the highest standards when they choose the manuscripts they want to acquire. What else could you expect with an entity associated with Harlequin?

Angelina

13. Angelina Barbin says:

Angela-

Rejections come through the post or e-mail? I should have more confidence but I’m pretty new to the writing world.

Angelina

14. Congratulations to your new authors! I’m a big fan of Charlene’s and I’m very excited to see her here. I’m looking forward to reading the other two.

15. Ursula Bauer says:

Who(m) ever made that bs comment about quality has NO CLUE about the major players (Esp you) involved in this enterprise. Does the phrase “EVIL EDITOR” have any connection for them? *LOL* There is uncompromising standards in all the folks so far at Carina, so it goes to reason, the product will speak for itself in that regard.