About Lilly Cain and Alien Revealed…

So I thought I might do a little interview with myself, LOL. Here are a few questions and answers I always want to know from my favorite authors whenever I get a chance to speak with them. (This is a picture of me with one of my sai, anyone out there enjoy weapons work?)

Have you always written erotic romance?
No, actually I began writing paranormal romance about eight years ago, but as time went on the romances in my stories became hotter until I found myself on the edge of erotic romance. Then I said heck, why not? And jumped right in. ;) But it has always been paranormal and sci-fi that interested me because the genres’ opened up such a wealth of possibilities. Lately I’ve seen other sub-genres of romance opening those same doors, like the speculative historic fiction within Steampunk, so the time could come that I will try something new.

Are you a ‘Pantser’ or a ‘Plotter’? Do you just make it up as you go or is everything planned out when you begin a story?
For me it is a little of both. I need the idea, then I write out a three to ten page synopsis, depending on the length of the book. I also write a blurb like you would read on the back of a cover so I don’t forget the tone of the book I wanted to create. After that, I make it up as I go. So long as I reach each point in the story it doesn’t matter exactly how I got there.

Do you ever find your characters surprising you?
Yes, occasionally. And when that happens I sit down and read everything I have written so far and see if the changes are what the characters really want or if I simply had too much coffee that day. If it turns out that the characters are demanding a plot change, well, I am an accommodating woman. ;)

How do you come up with a physical description for your characters?
It all depends. Obviously I write about features that attract me – tall men, strong hands, bright eyes, and other things. ;) But for my non-human characters there are important considerations. Since I write romance these characters have to be compatible to humans – bipedal at least, LOL. And they still have to be attractive. For Alien Revealed there had to be enough to show that the Inarrii were very different from humans. Exotic certainly, but in a sensual way. Other differences are internal, including strong psychic abilities.

Can you share a bit from Alien Revealed with us?

Absolutely. Here is a tiny excerpt to get you started. :)

She was going down. Her small observation pod hurtled toward the ground at an ever-increasing rate. Caught in the downdraft of an out-of-control human airjet, her tiny spy craft seemed as doomed as the vehicle that had crashed to the ground in front of her moments ago. Shuddering sensations raced up Alinna’s arms and along her scalp. Her L’inar nerve lines forced her skin up into narrow bands and ridges along her neck and hairline in an instinctual reaction as her concern turned quickly into fear.

Her pod was not meant for this kind of action. A tiny craft rigged to avoid human detection, it was only meant for short-term surveillance. There was barely enough room on board for her long body to lie flat against the monitoring equipment. Her mission was simple—park her ship on the moon and use her pod to observe human behavior—to watch, but not interact. But I am going to interact; they’re going to have to peel my Inarrii skin right off their shiny new Starforce facilities. Sweat beaded on her forehead as Alinna fought again to regain control, wrenching the hand controls up and back until they pressed against her chest.

Warning lights flashed. Her altitude was dropping erratically. “No shit,” she said aloud. Six months of listening to the Humans’ fondness for verbal vulgarity was rubbing off. She’d been observing a heated argument on the ground when the human airjet took her by surprise, veering suddenly off its scheduled course and into the airspace above the woods surrounding the new military base. Swerving right into her path, its engine had disrupted the ultrasonic pulse waves that kept her pod safely aloft. In seconds, the airjet had crashed to the ground and erupted in flames while she watched, unable to do anything other than struggle for control over her own vehicle. The airjet had broken into three jagged pieces; there was little likelihood anyone survived.

The automated emergency beacon started to flash as Alinna gave up trying to recover and instead braced for impact. The tips of treetops snapped hard against the outer shell of her pod, twisting the small craft into a spin. Alinna held on, her heart pounding. Her curving L’inar nerve lines were tight and burning in alarm. The fall took forever, the last of the ultrasonic waves battering the tiny ship against the tall spikes of Earth vegetation. Then, with one sudden stomach-wrenching drop, the craft hit the ground.

We have a guest here at today’s interview – My editor, Rhonda Stapleton! Rhonda, what caught your eye about Alien Revealed?

“When I got the manuscript for Alien Revealed, I couldn’t put it down–Lilly Cain’s characters are compelling, empathetic, and create a chemistry that knocked my socks off! I can’t wait for everyone else to read it and fall in love with this world.”

Thanks for stopping by, Rhonda – and thank you to today’s readers and commenters – remember to keep dropping in for more news on Carina’s impressive list of launch books!

**reminder: Commenting on an author’s blog entry/entries for the day will enter you to win a digital copy of their Carina Press title. One winner daily. Commenting on any of the Countdown entries will enter you into the big giveaway for a Carina Press promo prize pack. One winner at end of Countdown.**

23 thoughts on “About Lilly Cain and Alien Revealed…”

1. Liz Fichera says:

I love this world you’ve created–their language, their abilities, even their nerve lines. Very exciting excerpt, Lilly!

2. Pearl says:

Thank you for this nice behind-the-scenes and the excerpt. Alien Revealed sounds wonderful and loved to read what kind of author you are!

3. Hi Lilly, that’s a catchy excerpt! Talk about leaving us hanging! Congrats on the upcomig release!

4. Lilly Cain says:

Hi Liz! Thank you! I love the world so much – you can be sure there is more to come from this storyscape. ;)

Hi Pearl,thanks for stopping by! I always wonder how my favorite authors work and live so I thought it might be good for my readers to get some of that information. :)

Hey Jennie! That’s my job – to keep you looking for more! ;)

Lilly

5. Estella says:

I enjoyed the interview.
    The excerpt sure sucked me in.

6. Hey Lily,
    This looks like an awesome read…I can’t wait to get my copy once it’s out. I love paranormal/sci-fi/futuristic romances…this looks likes it’s right up my alley.

7. Lilly Cain says:

Hi again Estella! Glad the excerpt caught you. ;)

Thanks Anna! It isn’t long now – Alien Revealed in is week 2 of the big Carina launch – so the book will be available June 14th! I know I’m excited! Of course I am going to go broke ordering everyone’s books – the selection is awesome!

Lilly

8. Fedora says:

Hi, Lilly!! This is sounding good! Congrats on being on of Carina Press’s debut authors! Woohoo!

9. Lilly Cain says:

Thanks Fedora, I have to say I am honored to be one of the first authors with Carina – working with them has been first class!

Lilly

10. Michelle says:

Lilly – I know this is going to be fantastic – can’t wait to get it!!! Congrats on the awesome cover too…

11. I love this – science fiction and erotica are totally the peanut butter cup of reading.

Love your sai, BTW – I have a rapier collection locked up in the attic to keep the toddler from disemboweling the dog.

12. Julia Smith says:

‘When that happens I sit down and read everything I have written so far and see if the changes are what the characters really want or if I simply had too much coffee that day.’

LOL! Wonder how often coffee sends characters into new directions?

13. Lilly Cain says:

Hi Kathleen,

I love the combination of erotic romance and science fiction too. :) Hot and surprising!

Hiding the weapons is usually a good idea, but my kids are past that point so my sai are proudly displayed and my 3 bo are used weekly. :)

Lilly

14. MaryK says:

Funny, you don’t look like the blood thirsty type. ;) I’ve noticed several Carina authors have martial arts experience. What’s up with that I wonder?

This one is definitely on my list to buy.

15. I love the sound of new doors being opened in romance! Congratulations on your release. AL sounds like a fun read!

Heather

[…]At Carina Press, Lilly Cain blogs about her forthcoming erotic science fiction romance, ALIEN REVEALED[…]

16. Lisa Lane says:

Your new book looks like a lot of fun, Lilly!

17. Can’t wait to read this Lilly. Sounds great. Congratulations!

18. Diane M. says:

I like how authors make the different worlds their own.

19. I am so excited the Carina is launching with not one but three SFR. Your story looks fabulous and I can’t wait to read it. I am just happy that they are releasing a couple of days before I go on vacation so I can take them with me. Do you have a character that you wish you could change places with at least for a day?

20. Lately I’ve seen other sub-genres of romance opening those same doors, like the speculative historic fiction within Steampunk, so the time could come that I will try something new.

I love the sound of new doors opening in romance! Congratulations on your new release–it sounds like fun!

Heather

21. Jacqueline says:

So excited about this book! I love SFR.

22. Rhonda Stapleton says:

You guys are going to LOVE this book!! Wait until you read it. :D

23. Lilly Cain says:

Thanks to everyone stopping by after Sunday!

Mary – Yes, I have noticed a lot of us have martial arts in our backgrounds – I don’t know what the link is exactly, but I like it!

Thanks Heather, I’m all for opening doors!

Hi Lisa and Bev – thank you for dropping by! I do hope you enjoy the story!

You know Diane, I thinkthat’s why I write – to experience a world only I can dream of. This one was so vivid for me. :)

Oh Marnie – I think if I could change places with a character for a day it might be with Alinna – who wouldn’t want to be able to be in her guys’s head while making love?

Hi Jacquiline! Thanks for stopping by! I think you can expect to see more SFR from Carina (wink)!

Thanks Rhonda, I love that you love this story!

Lilly