No One Lives Twice

I have to admit that I’ve lived a pretty exciting life. I’m a military brat (Air Force) and have traveled all over the world. I went to high school in Okinawa, Japan and graduate school in Warsaw, Poland. I’ve lived behind the Iron Curtain and smuggled out anti-communist materials for intelligence purposes. I nearly joined the CIA, but opted for international journalism instead. During my heyday as a correspondent in Washington, DC, I had a press pass to the White House, the State Department and the U.S. Capitol. In college, I majored in Political Science and Russian language because I love politics, the international scene and writing. My first several published novels were historical and paranormal romances because I adore romance, history and fantasy. However, with my novel, No One Lives Twice, I decided to try something entirely new.

I really wanted to write a fun, totally hip, hi-tech spy novel revolving around a young woman who is a bit of an antithesis to James Bond. Lexi Carmichael is geeky smart and spends her days battling hackers for the U.S. government. However, she’s not so capable on the social scene, much to the dismay of her mother, a former beauty queen. For Lexi, it’s hard enough to fit into a profession dominated by male geeks, let alone get any of them to notice her. When she abruptly finds herself at the center of an international intrigue surrounded by super sexy and dangerous guys, she realizes she’s going to have to up her game, including those pesky social skills, in order to survive. She may not be able to fly helicopters, speak forty languages or seduce anything with a pulse (yet!), but she can give good hack and has some of the smartest and quirkiest friends on the planet. Oh, and she’s perfectly capable of saving the day. Sort of…

Photobucket

To wet your appetite, here’s the back cover blurb for No One Lives Twice:

I’m Lexi Carmichael, geek extraordinaire. I spend my days stopping computer hackers at the National Security Agency. My nights? Those I spend avoiding my mother and eating cereal for dinner. Even though I work for a top-secret agency, I’ve never been in an exciting car chase, sipped a stirred (not shaken) martini, or shot a poison dart from an umbrella.

Until today, that is, when two gun-toting thugs popped up in my life and my best friend disappeared. So, I’ve enlisted the help of the Zimmerman twins—the reclusive architects of America’s most sensitive electronic networks—to help me navigate a bewildering maze of leads to find her.

Along the way, my path collides with a sexy government agent and a rich, handsome lawyer, both of whom seem to have the hots for me. Hacking, espionage, sexy spy-men—it’s a geek girl’s dream come true. If it weren’t for those gun-toting thugs…

***
Now, to get those comments rolling . . . are you a James Bond fan? If so, name your favorite Bond actor and your favorite movie or book. If not, name your favorite spy character in either a movie or book (i.e. Max Smart? Jason Bourne?).

Julie Moffett is a best-selling author and writes in the genres of historical romance, paranormal romance, action/adventure and mystery. She has won numerous awards, including the prestigious PRISM Award for Best Romantic Time-Travel and Best of the Best Paranormal Books of 2002. She has also garnered several nominations for the Daphne du Maurier Award and the Holt Medallion. She enjoys interacting with readers at her website https://www.juliemoffett.com or on her Facebook page on Twitter or her eHarlequin page.

26 thoughts on “No One Lives Twice”

1. Hope Tarr says:

Hi Julie:

I love the premise, sort of a “Miss Congeniality” take but with higher stakes. And what an interesting background you have. Can’t wait to read the book. Congrats.

2. Keri Stevens says:

I am still a Roger Moore woman. Seriously. No, seriously. Stop laughing at me. Stop it now.

And I would totally run around in Grace Jones’s superbathrobe from View to a Kill if I could get my hands on it… hmmm. eBay?

3. Amy Atwell says:

Julie,

Your book sounds like such a fun read! I’ll admit to being a Bond fan. Pierce Brosnan in Goldeneye truly redefined the character, but I also adore Sean Connery, especially in the campy Diamonds Are Forever. In fact, my husband and I are such Bond geeks, that we decided to name our two female cats after Bond girls. No, we did NOT name one Pussy Galore (although, it was seriously tempting!) We named them Paris (after Terri Hatcher’s character in Tomorrow Never Dies), and then decided we couldn’t agree on the other name–LOL–so cat #2 got named London. Hey, it’s where MI-6 is based, right?

4. Sandy says:

Julie:

This is my favorite of everything you’ve written. I bought it yesterday and got caught up in the fun characters. Each one brings something different to the story line and keeps the pace flying along. It’s refreshing to have such a unique plot and fun mystery at the same time.

5. Julie, this sounds amazing! Congrats on the new release!

6. Thanks everyone for stopping by and for commenting on my blog!! Personally, I’m with Keri! I’m a Roger Moore girl. But I adored Maxwell Smart, too. Maybe that’s why I developed a combination of the two in the heroine of No One Lives Twice, Lexi Carmichael! :)

7. Angela says:

Julie, congrats! Your book sounds like a lot of fun! I love action adventure! I love James Bond but I adore Jason Bourne even more! I’ll watch and read anything with spies and secret agents. Can’t wait to read your book ; ).

8. Sandy says:

Sean Connery is the tops. Roger Moore is a bit predictable for me and always had perfect hair. (LOL) Love the latest Bond who isn’t afraid to go to the Max to protect the women he loves, and he has some serious muscles on that physique (not that I was looking!). Max Smart??? Seriously, he puts a dirty shoe to his ear!! But 99 had it all together!

9. Yes, I am a James Bond fan and have to say picking my favorite is tough. Sean Connery was handsome and suave. Pierce Brosnan was elegant. Daniel Craig – whoa, all out masculine sexiness. Sounds like a great book and I can’t wait to see how Lexi saves the day!

10. Eleri Stone says:

My vote’s for Daniel Craig. I could never really get into the older Bond movies but I love the new ones. Also, I’m a sucker for a geeky heroine so this sounds great!

11. Susanna says:

Oddly, I never was a James Bond fan. But I’m a geek, so your book is definitely appealing. You have lived an exciting life!

12. Angela, I LOVE Jason Bourne, too. Devoured ALL the books way before they became movies. But love Matt Damon in that role! I like the new Bond, too. Adore the intensive brood. Okay, Sandy, I admit I looked up to Agent 99 as well! How cool was she???

13. Pat Clay says:

Julie! What a great story. BTW there was only one James Bond–Sean Connery.

14. Josh Lanyon says:

Julie, your book sounds like so much fun!

Bond will always be Sean Connery to me, but I totally enjoyed what Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan and even the new kid on the block brought to the franchise.

Congratulations on the new release.

15. Susanna Fraser says:

Spies aren’t my usual thing (though Daniel Craig is hot enough to make me WANT to watch a James Bond movie), but your book sounds fun because I like geek girls!

16. I like Bond, but I don’t know if I had a favorite. Sean Connery’s accent is still the best though.

Favorite non-Bond spy? CHUCK! I love Chuck. Which means your story is right up my alley. Cannot wait :)

17. Elise Warner says:

Julie:

Your own life sounds super exciting. James Bond for me is Sean Connery-I’ll overlook the male chauvenism. Looking forward to reading your book.

Bests,

Elise

18. Zrinka Jelic says:

Finally, a counter part to always so smug Bond, James Bond.
    My favoirite spy would be Austin Powers, yeah baby.

Congrats! Can’t wait to inhale this one!

19. Donna says:

Funniest book I ve ever read. Superb. If you haven t read it, do yourself a favor and get it. You are in for a treat.

Donna

20. Tia Nevitt says:

Your book sounds so fun. I was actually in the Air Force and didn’t get to see nearly as much of the world as you did.

21. Thanks, all, for your great comments! I hope you enjoy the book and have as much fun reading it as I did writing it! :) Julie

22. I think of Sean Connery as the “real” James Bond. But still prefer Max Smart — so Lexi with her cereal for dinner sounds funny and (dare I say?) smart!

Fantastic blurb and … no wait, that was your bio. *envy*

No One Lives Twice sounds like a ton of fun.

23. Aw, thanks, Jenny!!! :)

24. Oh, I think less like Bond (Lexi’s not just arm candy, after all!) and more like Three Days of the Condor. So…um. Redford. Yeah.

25. Laurie Cooper says:

I so enjoy this sort of story because I relate to Lexi. A Watcher…secretly wanting more. I’m looking forward to reading it. Funny, I had the “You Only Live Twice” theme song stuck in my head just the other day. “One life for yourself, And one for your dreams.” Congrats, Julie!

26. Your book sounds great and I am looking SO forward to reading it. And James Bond is my cousin, so of course I am a fan. Really–he IS. Well, maybe not THE James Bond, but still.

I can’t wait until a book of mine is published one day; that will be a dream come true. So, Congratulations! I’m happy for you and proud of you, Julie.