Carina Press and my mother

Angela James has a vision for this blog – she wants it to be an informative and entertaining place where readers and authors alike can get some insight into Carina Press and the books we publish.

Sometimes we have very different ideas about what to post here. I tend toward the more…’promotional’ topics (it is, after all, my job to sell our books!), she wants us to be true to our editorial vision. She’s usually right, but I can’t help myself! I’m a marketer at heart.

But today I’m not thinking about marketing, or sales, or web development. I’m thinking about my Mom. In fact, I’m not actually at work today – I’m at the hospital with my Mom as she undergoes her second round of chemotherapy. So, since my Mom is on my mind, I will tell you about her, and how, through her, I knew Carina Press was going to be a success.

My Mother is a reader. I don’t remember a single night of my entire childhood that she wasn’t curled up on the couch in our living room with a book in hand long after everyone else had gone to bed. She passed along her love of books to my sister and I by reading to us every night before we went to bed. I think she must have read me The Tawny Scrawny Lion at least 500 times (and that is no exaggeration!).

For someone who loves books, a job at Harlequin/Carina is a dream come true – especially since one of our perks is all of the books we have around the office! My Mom has especially enjoyed this perk – every few weeks I get the not-so-subtle hint that she “has nothing to read”. A few days later, I pass along some of my current Harlequin favourites. I’ve been tempted to slip in a Spice (Harlequin’s erotic fiction line) to see her reaction, but I haven’t quite worked up the nerve.

But other than being generally supportive and looking for a few good books to read, my Mom hasn’t been all that inquisitive about my job….until Carina Press, that is.

My Mom discovered Facebook, and when I ‘liked’ Carina Press, she did too. And then, one day on the phone we had this conversation…

Mom: So. That Carina Press. With the ebooks. How does that work?
Me: What do you mean?
Mom: Well, how do you read them? Do you need a special reader?
Me: No, you can read them right on your computer if you want. Why?
Mom: Because I want to read that book! The Scottish one!

You see, my mother is Scottish, and earlier that week, Angela had posted the cover and blurb for Sea of Suspicion, a romantic suspense set in Scotland.

It was then, long before we actually sold our first book, that I knew that Carina Press was on to something good. Publishing good stories (and with compelling covers) was enough to pique the interest of a book lover like my Mom. She’d never even contemplated ebooks before – but the draw of an interesting story was enough to ‘drag her over to the dark side’ as Angela might say.

I hope they pique your interest too.

Eleanor

P.S. Now, if you can, go home and give your Mom a call and tell her you love her.

P.P.S. If, like my Mom, you like all things Scottish – you’ll love Sea of Suspicion by Toni Anderson and her more recent release Storm Warning, or for a fantastic historical, give Hope Tarr’s My Lord Jack a whirl. Sorry Angela! I can’t help myself.  ;)

20 thoughts on “Carina Press and my mother”

1. ha ha my mom is far away but you guys do have amazing covers and amazing stories too.

2. Vivian Arend says:

Eleanor, just wanted to pass this on for your mom. (((hugs))) Plus one for you as well ((hugs)). Hang in there–sending healing thoughts your way.

And yes, the covers and stories have been incredible.

3. Angela James says:

What a fantastic post, Eleanor. Thank you so much for sharing. I remember when you first told me that about your mom–it’s stuck with me and is great positive reinforcement when I get discouraged. You know I’m keen on dragging everyone to the digital dark side!

4. Melissa Johnson says:

Thank you for sharing, Eleanor, and hugs and positive vibes to your mom and you.

Here’s another Scottish CP release for her: Betrayed.

5. God, now I’m going to cry! What a lovely post. I so hope your mom liked the books–I hope they lived up to the amazing covers. I hope the chemo goes well.

Does your mom like ‘cheeky’ things? I have this brand-new Scottish mug that I can’t use b/c my kids are too young and it is a little risque, lol, and it sits high on my shelf just waiting for the right moment. What do you think?

6. MaryK says:

What an awesome mom! My mom is not a reader which is disappointing, BUT she did read to me a lot when I was little hoping to influence my development. It worked out really well! :) I wish your mom the best. I had my eye on Sea of Suspicion from the moment I saw it, too.

Oh, to have a job with a free books perk! Or to be related to someone who does! :D

7. Diane Dooley says:

My mum was always on the couch with her nose in a book, too. And I’ve turned out just like her.

I hope your mum is back to full health soon, Eleanor.

8. Deborah says:

Hugs and best wishes to your mother. Glad she inspired you to read. And I’m hoping your post encourages Toni Anderson to write more Scottish-set romances!

Deb

9. Your mom is very fortunate to have a daughter who loves and respects her so much. You must be a great inspiration and source of comfort to her. Best wishes to you both.

10. Romy Sommer says:

Melissa beat me to it – Claire Robyns’ historical ‘Betrayed’ is also set in Scotland.

Best wishes for a full and speeding recovery to your Mom, Eleanor.

11. What a wonderful post. Thanks so much for sharing!

My mom died several years ago, but I give thanks every day that she passed on her love of books.

As for Toni’s Sea of Suspicion, I loved it. The cover is stunning!

Sending all good wishes and hugs to your mom, you and the family.

12. Marie Force says:

Eleanor,
    What a lovely post about your mom. Please send her my best wishes for a speedy recovery so she can get back to reading! My late mother fostered a love of reading in our family, and I’m passing that along to my kids. It’s a wonderful gift. Hugs to you,
    Marie

13. Amy Atwell says:

Thanks for the glimpse inside your life, Eleanor–and my thoughts are with you and your mom today as she undergoes treatment. My mom was a voracious reader. She instilled in me that a book is more creative and fun than a toy and more precious than expensive jewelry. I know she would have loved digital books.

14. That was a great post, Eleanor! Happy healing thoughts to your mom so she can read many, many more books! Hugs to you both!

15. JB Lynn says:

Wishing your mom, and all the moms who turned us into readers, all the best.

16. Sewicked says:

I just called my mom last night. We always had books around the house and she read to us when we were little. I think that I got my love of reading from her.

17. Lynn Crain says:

Great post. My mother passed away quite a few years ago but this made me remember her love of reading and the hope I’d be an author someday.

Give your mom some hugs, chemo is rough sometimes and people need extra TLC during those times.

18. Lovely post, Eleanor, and quite eloquent. My mom and dad also installed a love of reading in me and my siblings. What a wonderful gift to pass on to your children!

19. Kym says:

Great post, Eleanor. My mom is a big part of why I’ve always loved to read, and when she was sick earlier this year, I brought all of my favorite books with happy endings to the hospital. I wish your mother all the best with chemo, and thank you for reminding me I need to give mine a call.

20. EC Sheedy says:

What a great post! And I totally understand why your mom wanted to read Toni Anderson’s book. Great Carina cover with a fabulous story tucked under it.

Lots of good vibes heading to your mother; may she have a full and speedy recovery.