No One To Trust – Want a Laugh?

I love books that make me laugh. If a writer can elicit a smile, chuckle or make me giggle out loud, I rate the book as a winner. Laughing makes me feel good and I like leaving a story with a smile on my face.

For those of us who write humor, I warn you, it is not an easy task. We rely solely on the power of our words. Visual cues and sound tracks are not available. We must craft the situations and reactions using just the right language and dialogue. Sometimes it works and other times the scene goes out the window.

I know I won’t always be able to make everyone laugh. After all, we each have a different idea of what’s funny. There are even people who are humor-challenged. So I just have to go with what feels right. How do I use humor in my writing? I look for the humor in everyday life. People would rather laugh than cry when faced with difficult life experiences such as death, disease or hardship. I play off experiences I’ve had, nearly had, or have happened to a friend. Most importantly, I’m not afraid to laugh at myself. I find the best humor comes from within, an honest, hair-brained moment I can share with others through the eyes of my fictional characters.

In NO ONE TO TRUST, the second book in my Lexi Carmichael mystery series, Lexi is very much like you and me. She’s trying to make a living, get a love life and cultivate friendships. But her life is far from normal. That’s what happens when you put an ordinary young woman into extraordinary situations. Sometimes she saves the day. Sometimes not so much.

So tell me, what are some novels that have made you laugh out loud?

Now, to whet your appetite, I’m offering up an excerpt from NO ONE TO TRUST:

When I was seven, my older brother Rock gave me a camera for Christmas. The science of photography fascinated me—the angles, depth and lighting. But I was more interested in how the camera worked than in what I was pointing it at. Fast-forward a few years and here I am, a twenty-five-year-old, single, white, geek girl who can’t take a decent picture of anything.

I’m also a semi-reformed computer hacker, a numbers whiz and a girl with a photographic memory. The whole photographic memory thing is totally overrated, though. Every human has the physiological capability. Most people just don’t have the film.

Lucky for me, I’ve got the film, but I’m also stuck with a geeky reputation. Counter to the stereotypical image, I don’t wear thick glasses held together by duct tape and I no longer own a pair of high-water pants. On the other hand, I’m no Miss America—just your basic tall, skinny girl with no curves and long brown hair. I double-majored in mathematics and computer science and have zero social skills. These days I’m employed by X-Corp Global Intelligence and Security, as Director of Information Security or InfoSec for short. It sounds impressive and maybe it is, but I’m so fresh in the job, I can’t be sure yet.

Buy NO ONE TO TRUST

Buy NO ONE LIVES TWICE

Buy NO ONE LIVES TWICE (audio book)

Julie Moffett is a bestselling author and writes in the genres of historical romance, paranormal romance and mystery. She has won numerous awards, including the prestigious PRISM Award for Best Romantic Time-Travel and Best of the Best Paranormal Books of 2002. She has also garnered several nominations for the Daphne du Maurier Award and the Holt Medallion.

Feel free to keep up with her at the following social media outlets:
Facebook
eHarlequin
Julie’s website
Julie’s blog

17 thoughts on “No One To Trust – Want a Laugh?”

1. No One To Trust sounds like a fun read. I love a good romantic comedy and I envy that you can write it. Last one that made me laugh out loud? Tate Hallaway’s Tall, Dark and Dead.
    Congratulations on the release!

2. Ann Campbell says:

Anything by Jennifer Crusie makes me laugh – but Agnes and the Hitman is the funniest romance I have ever read. I suggest it to everyone!

3. Adrienne_Giordano says:

Hi Julie. I love the semi-reformed hacker line. What a riot. I’ve already downloaded and can’t wait to dig in!

4. Caroline Mickelson says:

I just bought your first book and am really enjoying it. Looking forward to the second and hope you’re busy writing the third!

5. I read both Lexi books thanks to netgalley and I loved No One To Trust even more than the first one! I especially liked the dinner table scene with the steak sauce and hair piece.. LOL. Please, please, please, keep writing the Lexi series.

6. Eleanor says:

I’m so happy to see the second Lexi book. She’s one of my favourite heroines!

7. I’ve been waiting eagerly for this sequel since I read the first one, can’t wait to dig in.

8. I’m delighted to see the second book is out. I loved the first one. I wish Carina had more fun books. Thanks for not writing dark!
    ~ Gina

9. Karen C says:

I know I’ve read some books that have made me laugh out loud, but for the life of me, I can’t remember a title! You all have given me some wonderful suggestions(especially yours, Julie)and I will be looking for them on my next trip to the book store – thank you! *grins*

10. I loved “Married with Zombies.” Gail Carriger’s Parasol Protectorate series make me laugh as well as “Jane Bites Back”-Jane Austin as vampire. Love creepy with humor.

11. Kathy Ivan says:

Congratulations on anyother “Lexi” book. I love when a book can make me laugh out loud (it makes people around me wonder what’s so funny–then I can tell them to buy the book and find out). :-) Keep ’em coming.

12. Checking in from sunny Florida to offer a hearty congratulations to you, Julie. No One to Trust sounds like an instant winner!!

13. infinitieh says:

Aside from Jennifer Crusie’s books, especially the ones she cowrote with Bob Mayer, the last two books that made me laugh are Madeline Hunter’s “Dangerous in Diamonds” and Julie Ann Long’s “What I Did For a Duke”. Not only are they both historicals, but I read them back to back was I was delighted to find that they were funny.

14. @Wynter: Thanks for stopping by! I’m going to have to check out Hallaway’s book! :)

@Ann: Agnes and the Hitman sounds hilarious on the title alone. Definitely going to find this one!!

@Caroline: Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I’m writing “No Place Like Rome,” right now — the third book in the series.

@Tara: So glad you enjoyed the Lexi books. They are a blast to write. :)

15. @Eleanor: You made my day! Thanks. :)

@Claire: I you!

@Gina: I’m so not capable of writing dark!! Glad you are enjoying the series.

@Karen: Thanks for stopping by!!

@Carol: Just noted the books you mentioned. I’m going to have a fantastically funny TBR pile now. :)

@Kathy: Thanks for the encouragement!

16. @Maureen: Thank you, lovely lady, for taking the time to stop by the blog! oxoxx

@Infinitieh: I ADORE Madeline Hunter, but I’ve been so busy lately I haven’t read these. Thanks for reminding me!! :)

17. Congratulations! I’m looking forward to reading the second Lexi book, Julie! You know I LOVE to laugh. I’m with Ann about Agnes and the Hitman – that book has me laughing out loud every time I read it. But then, anything by Jennifer Cruise does it for me. And there’s this other author…oh, what’s her name…oh, yeah – Julie Moffett :)