The idea came from where?

The other day my editor asked me how I came up with the idea for the men of the Private Protectors series. Considering the men who work at Taylor Security are the heroes in the books, one would think I had a slam-dunk answer to this question.

Nope.

The series didn’t start with the men.  Roxann Thorgesson, the heroine in the newly released Risking Trust, was the first character I created for this series.

Here’s a little factoid about me: I have a love for the newspaper industry. Back in my newspaper days, I’d get a thrill when I walked into the pressroom and saw that monster press in action. So, when I decided to dedicate myself to writing a book, I immediately went to a topic I knew about. Plus, I’d just finished reading Katharine Graham’s autobiography on running the Washington Post. Mrs. Graham’s book inspired me to write a story about a woman suddenly responsible for running a large newspaper.

Enter Roxann Thorgesson, who, in the course of one day, becomes a grieving daughter and takes the reins of her family’s 250 million dollar company. To make her life just a tad more complicated, I threw Michael Taylor, CEO of Taylor Security, at her.

Michael, the love of Roxann’s life and a man she never fully recovered from, walked out on her twelve years earlier. Now he’s come to her for help, and Roxann needs to decide if the man standing in front of her, the man she dreamed of a life with, the man she wanted children with, can be trusted.

Did I mention he’s suspected of murdering his estranged wife?

Try as she might, Roxann can’t resist the pull of Michael’s story and agrees to help him uncover the true killer. When their partnership leads them to a city hall conspiracy, Roxann is forced to put her trust into a man who had once nearly destroyed her.

And that’s where the Private Protectors series began. All I wanted was to write a story about a strong woman who takes on a newspaper while battling her emotional demons. I didn’t know the secondary male characters would start yapping at me and begging for their own books. I figure they were lonely.  Or maybe they wanted to feed their adrenaline addictions. Or have sex. With this bunch, that could very well be.

Then again, I like to think they were just ready to fall in love.

Readers, I will be giving away one copy of Risking Trust. Please leave a comment to be entered in the drawing and check back in the morning for the announcement of the winner.

Risking Trust available:

Carina Press

Amazon

Barnes & Noble

Adrienne Giordano writes romantic suspense and women’s fiction.  She is a Jersey girl at heart, but now lives in the Midwest with her workaholic husband, sports obsessed son and Buddy the Wheaten Terrorist (Terrier). She is a co-founder of Romance University blog. For more information on Adrienne’s books please visit www.AdrienneGiordano.com. Adrienne can also be found on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/AdrienneGiordanoAuthor and Twitter at https://twitter.com/AdriennGiordano.

17 thoughts on “The idea came from where?”

1. Kathy Ivan says:

It’s funny how ideas and characters can come from anywhere. Sometimes the first character that we think of for a story may not be the right person for the story. I’ve had that happen. Hopefully they do eventually get their own story, though. :-)

Congratulations on the new release.

2. Adrienne_Giordano says:

Thanks, Kathy. You’re so right. I’ve had an idea for a minor character in this series, but she’s not a big enough character to sustain an entire book. I’ll finally be able to do a novella and give her a story of her own. I’m very excited about that.

Thanks for stopping by!

3. Julie Rowe says:

Character driven stories are my favorite. I fell in love with this series when I read MAN LAW.

Please tell me there’s more to come!

4. Adrienne_Giordano says:

Hello to my dance partner Julie Rowe! Thank you for the wonderful plug on Man Law. Vic was a fun character to write.

As for the series, yep, more to come. I am (as we speak) working on book four which will be Billy Tripp’s book. He’s the wisecracking secondary character from Man Law and A Just Deception. Billy will be working on his filtering problem in his book. :)

Thanks for saying hi.

5. Misty Evans says:

Hi A. Congrats on the new release! Michael is hawt! And I loved how Roxann stood up to him and forced him to tell her why he left. What a heart-wrenching scene! I can’t wait for Janet to get her novella and I’m looking foward to Billy’s book. He’s a fantastic character, just like all of the Private Protectors.

6. Adrienne_Giordano says:

Hi Misty. You are too good to me, sister. Glad you liked my Michael. Must be something with the name because you know I love your Michael Stone. Such good men!

Janet is going to be a force. She’d have to be in order to be the lone woman on a team filled with chest-bumpy alpha males. I can’t wait to dig into her story.

Thanks for coming by.

7. A –

I can’t wait to read the final version of Michael’s and Roxann’s story. It’s sitting lonely on my iPad, crying out for me to open it up!

Argh – if only I could spend all my hours reading your (and others’ :-)) great stories.

I’m so proud of you!
    Kelsey

8. Adrienne_Giordano says:

Kels, open it up! LOL. You helped me get it here, you might as well partake. I think you’ll like the finished product.:)

My fantastic peeps are all out to support me today. You guys are the bomb.

Thanks for coming by, Kels!

9. ClaudiaGC says:

This books sounds delicious! I haven’t a read any of your books yet but they sound very intriguing. Need to put them on my wish list.

10. Adrienne_Giordano says:

Hi Claudia. Thanks for coming by. Michael and Roxann’s story is actually the first in the series, but it needed revisions so it was released third. Those extra few months gave me time to really sink my teeth into the revisions and I’m so thankful for it.

This is the book of my heart and it’s a great feeling to see it published.

11. I can picture you in the press room with black-framed glasses a-la Lois Lane. Oh wait, Clark Kent wore the black-framed glasses. Well, anyway, I can picture you there! I’m glad it produced this series. :)

12. Adrienne_Giordano says:

Hi Maureen. I love the pressroom! It was kind of funny though because all the pressmen would look at us women like we were invading their space when we went in there.

I do have an updated version of black-framed glasses. :)

Thanks for saying hi!

13. Hi Adrienne, I was just going to ask why Risking Trust wasn’t the first book, but I see you already answered that question. So I’ll just say hello then! Roxann sounds very complex and Michael sounds very mysterious. A perfect combination!

14. Hi Laurie. Thanks for stopping by. Yep, Risking Trust was my first book and needed some tweaking. My fab editor helped me get it into great shape.

15. Dee J. says:

Adrienne,

Congrats on the latest release! I can’t wait to read it and see how the series all began. Your success is inspiring! Keep it up!
    Dee J.

16. Adrienne_Giordano says:

Hi Dee. Thank you! It’s such a rush to see my first book published. Just goes to show that we should never give up on our dreams.

Thanks for coming by!

17. Adrienne_Giordano says:

Hi all. The winner of the book drawing is Julie Rowe. Yay, Julie!

Thanks to everyone who stopped by to chat tonight. Happy reading.