A Writer’s Desk

I sat down to get to work and had that feeling something was due. A quick check of the Hello Kitty planner proved my ‘something’s due’ ESP was right on – “finalize Carina blog post”. Last month, I talked about card games (research) and the month prior about a scene in a book. So today I’ll veer into random-interesting territory and give you a look at a writer’s desk, or at least my desk.

1 – The Muses and a girl (Bella, Ryan and Jake). Originally, Ryan and Jake were propped up against the wall behind Pretty. My daughter decided they needed the pink couch and Bella’s company.

2 – Pretty. I named my laptop Pretty because it’s so shiny and pretty, and that’s the reason why I bought it. Hubby, who’s in IT, tried to steer me toward a more practical computer (all I do is use Word, Excel, surf the net, and dabble with Photoshop), but I ignored him and went for the prettiest laptop Bestbuy had to offer.

3 – The best cup ever. Seriously. The little sticker that said it didn’t sweat wasn’t lying. And it takes all evening for ice to melt. Best 12.99 I ever spent.

4 – Planner, magazines, and pile o’notebooks in various sizes. The magazines are good to flip through when I should be writing but am not in the mood to write, and the Hello Kitty planner keeps me on schedule. The notebooks…sometimes all it takes is picking up a pen to jumpstart the muse. I read an article once on how holding a pen hits acupressure points that simulate creativity, and I believe it. Love technology, love the delete key, but there are times when it takes putting pen to paper to get to the emotional heart of a scene.

What’s missing in the picture is my phone. It’s usually right next to Pretty, but I had to use the phone to take the picture. So if you imagine it there, in its turquoise and pink case (selected by kidlet), then you’ll have the complete picture of my writing desk.

I will add, the desk in the basement is a newer phenomenon. I used to write at a little table in the garage in front of the cars and under the cupboards. Very peaceful in the garage. But I had a couple incidents with the pitter-patter of little feet that sounded suspiciously like little furry critter feet, and I relocated to the basement.

————————-

Two of London’s most notorious rakehells, Linus Radcliffe and Robert Anderson, are the best of friends. They share almost everything—clothes, servants, their homes, and even each other’s bed on occasion. The one thing they don’t share: lovers. For while Linus prefers men, Robert prefers women…except when it comes to Linus.

As another Season nears its end, Robert can’t ignore his growing jealousy. He hates watching Linus disappear from balls to dally with other men. Women are lovely, but Linus rouses feelings he’s never felt with another. Unwilling to share his gorgeous friend another night, Robert has a proposition for Linus.

A proposition Linus flatly refuses—but not for the reasons Robert thinks. Still, Robert won’t take no for an answer. He sets out to prove a thing or two to his best friend—yet will learn something about the heart himself.

Buy Link: Brook Street: Rogues

Brook Street: Thief (#1) – get the first book in the trilogy for $0.99 during May
Brook Street: Fortune Hunter (#2)

Ava March is an author of smoking hot M/M historical erotic romances. She loves writing in the Regency time period, where proper decorum is of the utmost importance, but where anything can happen behind closed doors.

Website ** Blog ** Goodreads ** Facebook ** Twitter

14 thoughts on “A Writer’s Desk”

1. That cup doesn’t sweat? Do you remember where you bought it?

I have Legos on my desk. :)

2. Ava March says:

I got the cup at Target (I *heart* Target). They come in an array of colors and sizes, and they even offer replacement straws. I got it recently so they should still have them. Check the housewares dept.

Ooh, Legos! Those are fun, though they hurt like a mo-fo when you step on one with bare feet.

3. Chris says:

Ok, I was a little worried about Bella’s presence until you explained Kidlet added her. :)

I love those double-layered cups for cold drinks, too! I have a couple from Caribou Coffee, but they aren’t purple. I shall have to acquire a purple one.

4. Juliana Ross says:

Right now I have my gigantic, fluffy, sneeze-inducing cat on my desk. (In his mind it’s not a desk, it’s a Cat Admiration Platform.)

The dog is snoring away under my chair. And, yes, there’s a pile of Legos on the floor, waiting for me to trip over them.

Such is the glamour of a writer’s life!

5. Kathy Ivan says:

You mean you can actually see the top of your desk? Mine has so much stuff on it, I think it would take a bulldozer to clear it off. LOL

That cup, though, I really need one of those. (Especially in purple. I heart purple. :-)

6. Ava March says:

Chris – I tried to explain to kidlet that Jake and Ryan were content by themselves, but she insisted Bella wanted to hang out with them. :) And purple rocks. You must get a purple one.

7. Ava March says:

Juliana – yes, our life is oh so glamorous :) My cat prefers to hang out on my lap vs the desk, though I’d prefer it if she used the desk – hard to type when she’s resting her head on my arm.

8. Ava March says:

Kathy – I will admit to dusting the desk before I took the pic, but oddly, I don’t tend to have stuff littered all over my writing desk. The EDJ desk has stacks of paperwork and catalogs, but the writing desk somehow stays relatively clutter free.

9. Thanks so much for the tip on the non-sweating cup. That’s the kind of thing (like e-readers, garage door openers, single cup coffee makers and Easy Pass) that make life so much simpler, I wonder how I got along without them.

10. Off to hunt down the non-sweating Target cup. Thanks!

11. Ava March says:

You’re welcome, Alyssa. I love that cup. I have similar one I got a while back that leaves piddle-circles whenever I set it down. Very annoying. I was so geeked when I realized this one doesn’t do that. It’s the little things that make like lovely, you know? :)

12. I found it on their website. It’s called the Aladdin Aqua To-Go Tumbler (and it comes in pink!)

I probably shouldn’t be this excited about a cup but at least I’m not alone. :)

13. Ava March says:

Nope, definitely not alone. :) I need to get another one so I have a backup in case something happens to mine, ’cause knowing my luck, they’ll stop selling them as soon as I need a new one.

14. I adore the article. It apparent that you have a great deal information about this matter. Your items are well made and relatable. Thanks for creating participating and interesting substance.