Carina Press is looking to expand our editorial freelance team in the area of experienced content/developmental editors. Our freelance editors read submissions, acquire and edit manuscripts, as well as participate in Carina Press activities and communications with authors. If this sounds of interest to you, please read on.
Now, before you get all excited and shoot off an email, please read what we’re looking for carefully. Respondents who don’t meet the requirements or who don’t include the requested material will not receive a reply.
* One year paid experience editing fiction. In lieu of paid experience, I will accept editorial and agent internships in which the applicant worked with fiction and provided editorial feedback.
* Understanding of the difference between editing and polishing a book/offering insight into editorial issues and rewriting or interfering with an author’s voice.
* Excellent editorial eye in both content, story, characterization, plot and more but also ability to assist author in line edits, polishing writing and improving craft.
* Ability to follow a style guide and general understanding of CMoS
* Familiarity with Microsoft Word and its review functions, including track changes and comments.
* Comfort with use of technology and digital books.
* Ability to communicate editorial revisions to an author in a professional manner.
* Genuine love of editing, reading and the craft of writing.
* Ability to self-motivate, stay on task and meet deadlines consistently.
* Ability to take direction and feedback, while also offering critique.
* Interest in working in a freelance environment with a team atmosphere.
* Desire and ability to help an author build his or her career.
* Interest in working in the digital industry, being part of a growing business, and being a leader in the digital industry.
* Willingness to engage in other activities, both paid and unpaid, such as contest judging, offering critiques, guest blogging and interacting with editorial and author peers in an online environment.
* Willingness to attend virtual editorial team meetings.
* Desire to learn about digital book marketing, as well as other aspects of digital publishing.
* Thorough understanding of and insight into the genres you choose to edit.
If you meet these qualification requirements, are willing to work in a freelance capacity for a flat, per-project/per-assignment fee, and would like to learn more about the freelance editorial position, please send your CV and a letter of interest, detailing your qualifications and stating why you are interested in working for Carina Press in particular, as well as what genres you feel you’d be qualified to edit, to attention of Angela James at generalinquiries AT www.carinapress.com We will respond with some further information about the position. From there, we ask all applicants to who move forward with the process to perform an editorial evaluation on a manuscript, so please be prepared to go through this process if you apply.
NOTE: We have openings for multiple positions going at the same time, so please follow directions for each. Please send separate emails geared toward each if you are interested in more than one position.
To apply: please put Your name: CONTENT EDITOR (ie Angela James: CONTENT EDITOR) in subject line, attach CV and in body of email include a letter of interest detailing qualifications (please see above), why you’re interested in Carina Press, & what genres you’re interested in editing.
Respondents who don’t meet the requirements or who don’t include the requested material will not receive a reply.
This freelance opportunity will remain open until August 30th, 2012.