You tell us: What was your favorite summer read?

Next week I’m going on staycation. In other words, I’m off for ten days (counting weekends and Labor Day) and I’m not going anywhere. No airports, no hotels, no car trips. Just me and my books. Oh, and my closets. I’ve promised myself I’ll clean my closets out. This is…an epic battle. But in the meantime, while I do have a list of books I’ve been saving for my staycation, that doesn’t mean I’m not always looking for more. And since I know a lot of you in my part of the world have gone on vacation and done lots of reading during the summer months, I thought now would be a good time to ask what your favorite summer read was.

Of course, that doesn’t preclude those of you for whom it’s not summer (hi, Aussie friends!) from answering. Because you’ve probably been bundled up at home, getting some reading done while it’s too ugly outside to enjoy the weather.

So you tell us (me): what was your favorite summer read, the book you think other people should be reading too?

10 thoughts on “You tell us: What was your favorite summer read?”

1. Sutton Fox says:

Bared to You by Sylvia Day

2. Inez Kelley says:

The Siren by Tiffany Reisz

3. Cheryl Stanford says:

I really can’t say I have a favorite, I’ve read so many books that I really enjoyed….but I did just finish Relentless Pursuit by Adrienne Giorgano….and it made me laugh out loud many times, that’s what reading is about right????

4. Stacy Gail says:

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, by Seth Grahame-Smith
    The Theory of Attraction, by Delphine Dryden
    The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins

Re-read the entire Dante Valentine series, by Lilith Saintcrow

(And beta-read two cozy mysteries. My reading tastes are, uh, kind of varied. :P )

5. Ruth_Diaz says:

My favorite for this summer has got to be The Druid Stone, by Heidi Belleau and Violetta Vane, hands-down.

6. My favorite was Captain Vorpatril’s Alliance, by Lois McMaster Bujold, which doesn’t officially release till November, but Baen is selling the eARC. But it really only works if you’ve read the rest of the series and know the characters and their backstories. So, aside from that, I enjoyed:

Doukakis’s Apprentice, by Sarah Morgan
    My Fair Concubine, by Jeannie Lin
    The Wives of Bowie Stone, by Maggie Osborne

7. Jacinta says:

My winter read is, Strange Academy by Teresa Wilde. Its awesome and the first great book i have read in ages after a run of bad books.

8. Katie says:

I’ll second Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, by Seth Grahame-Smith. It was surprisingly well-researched and managed to be funny and serious at the same time. Seth Grahame-Smith is gaining my respect quite quickly (I also got a kick out of P&P&Zombies).

I’ve been reading some of Janet Evanovich’s romances, which I think are far better than her Stephanie Plums, and I really enjoyed Snuff, the most recent of Pratchett’s Discworld books.

I’m sure you’ve read it, but I also enjoyed Christine Bell’s The Twisted Tale of Stormy Gale.

9. Penn_Harlequin says:

If you’re up for some YA, pretty much any of our Teen releases. My favs were the Iron Fey series, Pushing the Limits, Saving June (oh, Saving June!), and a bunch that I’m forgetting.

10. Courtney says:

Somewhere along the way, I discovered Sarah Mayberry (who’s a HQ author and as also self-published) and promptly read her back list – all of which I loved. I also devoured PB Ryan’s Nell Sweeney historical mysteries (set in post civil war Boston)-a six set where the first one is free for the Kindle. Great mysteries, great sexual tension. I also really enjoyed Sarah Pekkanen’s “These Girls.”