So, as of release, there are a few avid readers out there who want to read TASTE OF PASSION because it’s a sexy sci-fi romance with a headstrong heroine whose empathy lets her taste emotion.
And then there are the people who want to read my book for another, more terrifying, reason: They know me in person.
– My usual waitress at a local seafood restaurant, who witnessed the big post-contract celebration with the BFF
– And every other waiter/waitress who’s had Laurie and I in over the last few months
– My mother’s friend from high school who is very active in her church community
– My brother, who heard on the news self-publishing is a great way to get rich quick
– My housekeeper, who has a hard time getting into books lately, but thought about reading 50 Shades of Grey
– All of the friends of my very enthusiastic cousin
– My friend Sam, who’s more into horror and thrillers and sci-fi and such
– My hair stylist, who has read 50 Shades of Grey, and made a not-impressed face when remembering the sex
Note, if you publish your romance debut in 2013, all mainstream world discussion jumps off from 50 Shades of Grey as a baseline. It’s like the Wal-Mart in a small town used for directions – “It’s one mile down from the Wal-Mart, take a left on Highway 81, second right.” So, if I’m talking with non-romance-fan friends, TASTE OF PASSION is “A lot like 50 Shades of Grey. They both have sex in them, and it’s just everything else that’s different.”
I guess real-life-person reviews will be trickling in over the next few months. Wish me luck on that.
Though, I do have one early review back – Sam’s gal loved it, and it made her want to read a lot more romance. I created a romance fan, guys! Man, is it dusty in here. It’s a localized dust storm, right around my eyes.
21,000 word novella
Sci-fi erotic romance
Fedni, an empath who can taste emotion, was once a highly desirable courtesan. But the conquering New Earth Federation has abolished her temple, forcing her into early retirement and making her struggle to find her place in a transformed world.