Welcome Pitch Session with Libby Murphy!
I’m Libby Murphy, and I’m a new freelance editor for Carina Press. This is a pretty exciting time for me because I’m on the hunt for books! I’m just starting out at Carina, so right now I don’t have any books on my list. I’m super excited to start acquiring and about getting to work with talented authors.
With that hunger for submissions in mind, I’m here on the blog today from 9 am Eastern to 9 pm Eastern to offer a personal feedback opportunity. Pitch me your book in the comments below; I’ll be requesting manuscripts and offering personalized, expedited feedback on ten of them!
Before we move on to the rules, I bet you’re wondering what kinds of books I’m looking for. In no particular order, here are some things I’d love to see:
- Sexy contemporary romance with humor, heated banter, and adventurous plots (adventure is a loose term, btw–it can be an actual adventure, like through the jungle, or an emotional adventure).
- Romantic suspense of all kinds, although I do prefer a storyline that’s a bit heavier on the romance, and even some humor here and there. I’d love to see anything from a small town caper to an Indiana Jones-like adventure.
- Cozy mysteries that feature a smart, sassy heroine who can grow not only over the course of one book, but throughout a series.
- Paranormal romance and urban fantasy that’s full of wicked awesome world building. I’m not a huge fan of psychics and vampires, but I adore dragons and shapeshifters.
- Science fiction romances that feature dystopian worlds, worlds falling apart, space adventures, futuristic worlds, and more.
In all of the above categories, I am happy to consider adult romance, new adult romance, LGBT, and all heat levels (although I do tend to gravitate toward sexier stories).
ELIGIBILITY TO PARTICIPATE:
- You must have a complete, ready-to-send, manuscript that falls within the commercial fiction genres that we publish. (Please view our submissions guidelines here.)
- You must pitch your manuscript in the form of a comment on this blog post between 9 am EST and 9 pm EST.
- You must be prepared to send your manuscript by June 15, 2015. Any manuscripts sent to my attention after June 15, 2015 will still be fairly reviewed by me but won’t be eligible for the feedback opportunity.
- The manuscript you’re pitching must be new material, not previously published material, whether self-published or released via a publisher. Only new material will be considered during this event.
- The manuscript cannot be one that has previously received a pass letter from Carina Press.
- You may pitch more than one project. All submissions will be considered, but only ten will receive personal feedback.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
- If your book meets the guidelines above, pitch it to me in the comments below.
- Watch for a response in the comments! If I respond to your pitch asking you to submit, please send it to us via Submittable, following the submission guidelines Make sure to address your query letter to me and to note that your manuscript was requested in the blog pitch session.
I will be selecting ten pitches for feedback, but I welcome all submissions! If your pitch isn’t selected for feedback, you are still welcome to submit it to Carina, as we’re always open to submissions. All submissions will be considered, but only ten will receive personal feedback as a part of this opportunity.
And one last note. If you don’t have something ready to go, no worries! I’m always open for submissions, and would be happy to consider your project at a later date through the regular submissions process.
I’m looking forward to seeing your pitches!