We are looking to expand our pool of freelance content/developmental editors. We’re in search of editors who are interested in the adult fiction genres we publish and have the marketing and editorial understanding of what is selling in the romance markets and what romance readers are looking for. Ideal candidates must have previous paid editorial experience.
***NOTE*** I am particularly interested in hearing from applicants who have experience with Western fiction (not Western romance), as I need someone for a special project.
Please read the below carefully. Respondents who don’t meet the requirements or who don’t include the requested material will not receive a reply. Please be sure to provide all requested material detailed in the paragraphs below.
* Three years minimum paid experience in an editorial position. Internships, beta reading or critique partner experience do not count toward this experience. The editorial position must have included actual hands-on content editing.
* Understanding of the difference between editing and polishing a book/offering insight into editorial issues and rewriting or interfering with an author’s voice.
* Excellent editorial eye for content, story, characterization, plot and more but also the ability to assist author in line edits, polishing writing and improving craft.
* Ability to follow a style guide and general understanding of CMoS.
* Familiarity with Microsoft Word and its review functions, including track changes and comments.
* Comfort with technology and digital books.
* Ability to communicate editorial revisions to an author in a professional manner.
* Genuine love of editing, reading and the craft of writing.
* Ability to self-motivate, stay on task and meet deadlines consistently.
* Ability to take direction and feedback.
* Interest in working in a freelance environment with a team atmosphere.
* Desire and ability to help an author build his or her career.
* Interest in working in the digital industry, being part of a growing business, and joining a leader in digital publishing.
* Willingness to engage in ancillary activities, both paid and unpaid, such as contest judging, guest blogging and interacting with editorial and author peers in an online environment.
* Willingness to attend virtual editorial team and acquisition meetings on a paid basis.
* Desire to learn about digital book marketing, as well as other aspects of digital publishing.
* Thorough understanding of and insight into the genres you choose to edit.
* Ability to work on multiple projects during the same timeframe.
*Commitment to reading and evaluating a minimum of 25 submissions a month (this is a paid activity).
* Ability to adapt and be flexible as the business processes and requirements change and grow.
If you meet these qualification requirements, are interested in working in a freelance capacity for a flat, per-assignment/per-task fee, and would like to learn more about the freelance editing position, please send your CV and a letter of interest. Your letter of interest should:
Direct all documents to generalinquiries AT www.carinapress.com. Attention Angela James.
Required information to be included alongside a CV and letter of interest:
We will respond to qualified applicants who submit all requested information with some further information about the position. Applicants who are being considered will be asked to complete an editorial test, so please be prepared to go through this process if you apply.
To apply: please put Your Name: FREELANCE EDITOR (ie Angela James: FREELANCE EDITOR) in subject line, attach your CV and, in body of email, include a letter of interest detailing your qualifications (please see above), why you’re interested in Carina Press, & what genres you’re most interested in editing.
We will accept applications for this freelance opportunity until April 6, 2016.