Limited time opportunity: Accepting paranormal romance proposals (no full manuscript needed)
Submitting to Carina Press has always—with a few exceptions—required a full manuscript and detailed synopsis. We’re pleased to announce that we’re living lighter this year and relaxing those restrictions for several proposal calls in 2017. We want to see what’s been brewing in your mind and have a taste of your fresh works in progress!
From April 13th to June 4th, we’re accepting proposals for paranormal romance.
Maybe you’ve heard that no publishers want paranormal, that paranormal is dead or that readers aren’t buying paranormal romance? Wrong! Carina Press is actively acquiring and publishing paranormal romance—and readers are buying it. So bring us your shapeshifters, your vampires, your fae and demons and witches. We want to read your paranormal romance proposals, because we love this genre and readers do too!
Details on this limited-time-only proposal call can be found below. You can also keep an eye on our blog and Facebook and Twitter pages to stay up-to-date on all our submission calls.
Submission link: https://carinapress.submittable.com/submit/82046/paranormal-romance-proposal-call
Closing date: June 4th, 2017 (all submissions due by 11:59pm Eastern on this date)
Requirements for this proposal call:
- Your book must fall within the paranormal romance subgenre, but can be of any heat level or pairing, including same-sex/multiples.
- Paranormal elements should play an important role in story development, plot and characterization.
- We will look at paranormal romances in different time periods and unique settings—they do not need to be contemporary or based in the US.
- Your proposed book must be a completely new work and not have been previously published in any form, whether self-published or released via digital or traditional publisher. Only new material will be considered during this submission call.
- You cannot submit a project you have submitted to Carina Press before.
Materials needed to participate:
- A query letter with a 1-2 paragraph book description, plus an introduction of yourself as an author/your writing and publishing history.
- Three complete, ready-to-send chapters of a WIP. If you have more than three chapters, you can certainly send more!
- A thorough, well-thought-out synopsis that is at least 5 pages long. The synopsis is extra important with a proposal because we need to see progression of plot, character arc, storyline and, also really crucial—how it ends! See more about writing a synopsis here.
- You may submit more than one project! However, please submit only one proposal per series.
How to submit:
- If your book meets the guidelines above and all your material is ready and properly formatted, please use this link to submit.
- Direct your submission to the editor who has advertised an interest in seeing manuscripts like yours! In doubt? Direct your submission to Editorial Director Angela James or Senior Editor Kerri Buckley.
- We will consider all proposals that fulfill submission call requirements and are received by 11:59pm EST on June 4th, 2017.
- All eligible proposals will receive a response within 12 weeks of submission.
Not going to be ready in time? Not to worry. We remain open to full manuscript submissions all year long via bit.ly/write4cp, and more submission and proposal opportunities are coming in 2017.
For questions about this call for submissions, please email us at email@example.com.
For more information about Carina Press, and to read our submission guidelines, please visit bit.ly/write4cp.
We can’t wait to get reading!