Call for Submissions: We’re Open to Proposals!

Submitting to Carina Press has always—with a few exceptions—required a full manuscript and detailed synopsis. We’re pleased to announce that we’re living lighter this year and relaxing those restrictions. We want to see what’s been brewing in your mind and have a taste of your fresh works in progress!

This proposal call is open to any of the genres we publish in, as outlined below. Have a high-stakes romantic suspense you’ve been working on, or maybe an urban fantasy with great sexual tension? We want to read it!

Submission link: https://carinapress.submittable.com/submit/75963/open-proposal-call

Closing date: September 4, 2017 (all submissions due by 11:59pm Eastern on this date)

Requirements for this proposal call:

• Your book must fall within any of the romance or mystery genres we publish but can be of any heat level or same-sex/multiple pairings.
  • Your proposed book must be a completely new work and not have been previously published in any form, whether self-published, posted on a writing community site (example: Wattpad) or released via digital or traditional publisher. Only new material will be considered during this submission call.
  • You cannot submit a project you have submitted to Carina Press before.

View this post for the dozens of genres and tropes our editors are dying to read.

Materials needed to participate:

• A query letter with a 1-2 paragraph book description, plus an introduction of yourself as an author/your writing and publishing history.
  • Three complete, ready-to-send chapters of a WIP. If you have more than three chapters, you can certainly send more!
  • A thorough, well-thought-out synopsis that is at least 5 pages long. The synopsis is extra important with a proposal because we need to see progression of plot, character arc, storyline and, also really crucial—how it ends! See more about writing a synopsis here.
  • You may submit more than one project! However, please submit only one proposal per series.

How to submit:

• If your book meets the guidelines above and all your material is ready and properly formatted, please use this link to submit.
  • Direct your submission to the editor who has advertised an interest in seeing manuscripts like yours! In doubt? Direct your submission to Editorial Director Angela James or Senior Editor Kerri Buckley.
  • We will consider all proposals that fulfill submission call requirements and are received by 11:59pm EST on September 4, 2017.
  • All eligible proposals will receive a response within 12 weeks of submission.

Not going to be ready in time? Not to worry. We remain open to full manuscript submissions all year long via bit.ly/write4cp, and more special submission opportunities are coming.

For questions about this call for submissions, please email us at submissions@www.carinapress.com.

For more information about Carina Press, and to read our submission guidelines, please visit bit.ly/write4cp.

We can’t wait to get started reading!

35 thoughts on “Call for Submissions: We’re Open to Proposals!”

1. Tia Moshuk says:

This is Fantastic! I just started an outline and assumed I would have to finish the whole project before submitting. I will be diligently trying to get three chapters and a synopsis ready for September 4th!

2. Swati Hegde says:

Hey, guys!

So excited about this!
    Just one question: do you publish college romances? My current WIP is a college NA romance (19-year olds).

Already submitted my paranormal proposal for your PNR call, and am going to send you my royal romance shortly. Can’t wait to hear from you!! :)

Swati

1. Angela James says:

Hi Swati, we do publish college romance, but we encourage you to target it as contemporary romance.

3. Kenya Wright says:

I’m considering submitting a book proposal for each romance and mystery. What would be the approximate time-frame to finish the novels, if they are picked up by Carina?

1. Stephanie Doig says:

Hi, Kenya,
      We don’t have a strict time frame; deadlines for completing a full would be something we’d discuss at the time of contract. 6 weeks from time of contract is a good general time frame, but for longer works we would be open to discussing a longer time frame.

Thanks,
      Stephanie Doig
      Assistant Editor, Carina Press

4. Candice says:

I wanted to do this last year, but I’m definitely doing it this year.

5. I have a question–I have a novella manuscript that was previously published, but the publisher closed. When I got my rights back, I added about 30 thousand words to it, turning it to a full-length. Does that still count, or would I be able to submit it?

1. Stephanie Doig says:

Hi, Catherine,

Unfortunately yes, we would consider this previously published. However, we’re happy to consider it as part of our regular submissions process, once you complete the full.

Thanks,
      Stephanie Doig
      Assistant Editor, Carina Press

6. This sounds too good to be true. Will be working on my awesome submission this weekend. By the way, I am a big fan of Carina Press on Twitter and now I am looking to be a published author with them!
    Twitter-thewriterlady2

7. Reena Singh says:

I submitted a story at public bookshelf which has very good reviews . It is 15000 words . Can I send it to carina

1. Stephanie Doig says:

Hi, Reena,

Unfortunately our minimum word count for novellas is 25000 words (with the exception of The Dirty Bits from Carina Press, which is not open to previously published material).

Stephanie DOig
      Assistant Editor, Carina Press

1. REENA SINGH says:

I HAVE ANOTHER STORY AGAIN ON PUBLIC BOOKSHELF OF 39675 WORDS. CAN I SEND IT

1. Stephanie Doig says:

Yes, you can send. Please follow the submissions guidelines at bit.ly/write4cp.

Thanks,
          Stephanie

8. Dianne Brubaker says:

Dear Editors,
    I know the requirements state that if the manuscript already got a pass from you, that you won’t accept it for submission again.
    My question is: what if the manuscript has had extensive work done since the first submission? Could I submit the revised manuscript? (I was new to the world of publishing at the point when I first submitted and made gobs of errors in both my book and my query.)
    If I can’t, I can’t. But I know the answer’s always ‘no’ if the question’s never asked.
    Thank you regardless of the decision.

1. Stephanie Doig says:

Hi, Dianne,
      For this particular call, we ask that you not submit a proposal for a book that has received a pass from us. However, if you have revised and completed a full manuscript, you are welcome to resubmit via our regular process. Please just note in the query letter that you have sent it before but you have revised significantly since the first submission. (In cases like these, we refer to significant story and character revisions, not copyediting/proofing errors.)

Stephanie Doig
      Assistant Editor, Carina Press

9. Jennifer N. says:

Not to ask a redundant question, but if I have posted only a few chapters of a novel on a writing site, (i.e. not the full or finished piece) is that an acceptable submission for this proposal?

1. Angela James says:

Hi Jennifer, that would be fine.

1. Jennifer N. says:

Awesome. I’m going to submit a few for sure. Yay, thank you Angela!

10. Lissa says:

I have a manuscript that was submitted about 7 years ago to Harlequin (but wasn’t picked up). I have re-mixed/re-done this manuscript, can it be submitted to Carina too?

1. Stephanie Doig says:

Hi, Lissa,

We’re always open to material that has been significantly revised–if you’ve made revisions to the story (more than just minor changes like typos, sentence structure, etc.) then we’d be happy to consider it.

Thanks
      Stephanie Doig
      Assistant Editor, Carina Press

1. Lissa says:

Thanks much Stephanie :)

11. Jeanna says:

My WIP is what I would call Romantic Fantasy, as it has elements of magic/paranormal and historical, but has in a contemporary setting. Should I submit it as contemporary romance or paranormal romance? Thank you.

1. Stephanie Doig says:

Hi, Jeanna,

That sounds like it’s more suited to paranormal than contemporary.

Stephanie Doig
      Assistant Editor, Carina Press

1. Jeanna says:

Thanks Stephanie x

1. Jeanna says:

Hi again Stephanie,

I’m currently working on my submission. My query and opening chapters are good to go, but I just want to ask about the synopsis.

When you say at least five pages long, does that mean quite a bit longer, like say eight pages would be acceptable? Or is five to seven more the optimum length?

Thanks in advance,

Jeanna

1. Angela James says:

Hi Jeanna! Hopefully you went ahead and submitted, but a longer synopsis is fine.

12. Hi Carina Press! I wanted to ask if it’s limited to one submission. I am asking because I have one that is complete and one that’s in first draft that I am beginning editing on. I’d like submit them both if allowed. They are both contemporary romance. Thanks again for this opportunity!

1. Whoops again – I see the bold print now about more than one WIP. Thanks :)

2. Stephanie Doig says:

Hello! You are welcome to submit more than one project, but if one is complete, we’d ask that you submit the complete project under our normal submissions process.
      Thanks,
      Stephanie Doig
      Assistant Editor, Carina Press

13. Oops, forgot to ask, would you only want the first three chapters on a full WIP? Cheers!

14. Saje says:

Hi! I submitted to this and it’s past the three-month mark. I put a not in submittable and sent an email but haven’t heard back. Status is in-progress. How do I get an update? Thanks <3

1. Stephanie Doig says:

Hi, Saje,

We’re slightly behind on our response goal right now, but your submission is with an editor and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience! We do respond to all submissions, so a lack of response does not equal a rejection, it just means we’re still working on it.

Thanks,
      Stephanie Doig
      Assistant Editor, Carina Press

1. Saje says:

I’ll be patient. Thank you :)

15. Adrienne says:

What are the chances this has been extended? Let’s say to February-March-ish?

1. Stephanie Doig says:

Hi, Adrienne! It has not been extended, but…watch this space! We have some things in the works for 2018. ;)

The best way to keep up-to-date with any submissions calls we’re doing is to subscribe to our editorial newsletter here: http://carinapress.us15.list-manage1.com/subscribe?u=56b999fa0622db02ce095b350&id=7f773fb6ed

We have a newsletter going out next week that will have details on upcoming opportunities!

Stephanie Doig