Happy Halloween! We are now accepting paranormal mystery proposals (no full manuscript required)
A little spooky, a little quirky, a whole lot of mystery.
Wanted: Heroes and heroines with paranormal powers, help from the undead, enchanted towns, supernatural friendships and creatures who go bump in the night. We’re interested in a little something weird structured around a solid mystery arc, anywhere within the genre. Think of the films Practical Magic and Hocus Pocus, A Grave Calling by Wendy Roberts, Deanna Chase’s Jade Calhoun series, Charlaine Harris’s Midnight, Texas books, and Jana DeLeon’s Happily Everlasting series.
Romantic elements are NOT required but they are welcome if they’re a natural fit within your story.
Details on this limited-time-only proposal call can be found below. Please also keep an eye on our blog and Facebook and Twitter pages to stay up-to-date on all our submission calls.
Submission link: https://carinapress.submittable.com/submit/98268/paranormal-mystery-proposal-call
Closing date: January 7, 2018 (all submissions due by 11:59pm Eastern on this date)
Requirements for this proposal call:
- Your book must fall within the paranormal mystery subgenre, but does not need to contain romantic elements. If your book does contain romantic elements, all pairings welcome, including same-sex and gender non-conforming characters. Heat level may run from sweet to sexy.
- Paranormal elements should play an important role in mystery development, plot and characterization.
- We will look at paranormal mysteries in different time periods and unique settings—they do not need to be contemporary or based in the US.
- Your proposed book must be a completely new work and not have been previously published in any form, whether self-published or released via digital or traditional publisher. Only new material will be considered during this submission call.
- You cannot submit a project you have submitted to Carina Press before.
Materials needed to participate:
- A query letter with a 1-2 paragraph book description, plus an introduction of yourself as an author/your writing and publishing history.
- Three complete, ready-to-send chapters of a WIP. If you have more than three chapters, you can certainly send more!
- A thorough, well-thought-out synopsis that is at least 5 pages long. The synopsis is extra important with a proposal because we need to see progression of plot, character arc, storyline and, also really crucial—how it ends! See more about writing a synopsis here.
- You may submit more than one project! However, please submit only one proposal per series.
How to submit:
Not going to be ready in time? Not to worry. We remain open to full manuscript submissions all year long via bit.ly/write4cp, and more submission and proposal opportunities are coming in 2018.
For questions about this call for submissions, please email us at email@example.com.
For more information about Carina Press, and to read our submission guidelines, please visit bit.ly/write4cp.
We can’t wait to get reading!