**This event is now over and we have closed comments on this post. If you have any questions, please contact us via email. Thank you to everyone who participated and made this a successful event!**
THE CARINA PRESS EDITORIAL TEAM WILL BE HOLDING OUR ANNUAL PITCH EVENT ON TWITTER VIA THE #CARINAPITCH HASHTAG ON WEDNESDAY, APRIL 18TH, FROM 9AM EASTERN TO 9PM EASTERN.
Get both an expedited response *and* feedback! #CarinaPitch is our once-a-year, tremendously popular pitch event and it’s coming at you next month, with an important update…
New for 2018: Our editors are open to proposals during #CarinaPitch. You do not need a complete manuscript to participate this year!
We’ve requested revisions on and/or signed to publication over forty manuscripts via #CarinaPitch since holding the first event five years ago. Our ultimate goal is always to find new authors to acquire, not new authors to reject, so get those pitches polished and come join us on 4/18/18!
PLEASE READ ON FOR DETAILS ABOUT HOW THE EVENT WILL WORK AS WELL AS TIPS AND GENRE HASHTAGS.
On Wednesday, April 18, 2018, Carina Press editors will be monitoring the #carinapitch hashtag for book pitches from authors.
**Please note that we ask authors not to expect paragraphs of critique, but specific feedback will be offered, noting what the editor sees as not working or needing attention.
**We also would like to emphasize that the nature of this business is subjective, so the editor may provide feedback the author may not agree with. We’re offering insight into why the book doesn’t work for us (should we choose to pass on it, rather than acquiring, which is certainly a possibility!), not providing detailed instructions on how to “fix” any issues we see.
ELIGIBILITY TO PARTICIPATE:
1) Your proposed or complete MS must fall within one the adult fiction genres we publish. (Please view our submissions guidelines here for an overview of genres.)
2) You must be prepared to send your materials by May 28, 2018. Any materials sent after midnight on Monday, May 28th will still be fairly reviewed by editorial staff but won’t be eligible for the feedback.
3) The project you’re pitching must be new material, not previously published material, whether self-published or released via a publisher. Only new material will be considered during this event. We define previously published as something that has been available for sale or free download on a retail site. If your book was placed on Wattpad, critique sites or other similar crowd-reading sites, we do not consider that as previously published.
4) The project cannot be one that has previously received a pass letter from Carina Press.
5) You may pitch more than one project.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
1) Wait until April 18th from 9am Eastern to 9pm Eastern, which is when the editors will be monitoring the hashtag.
2) Craft your compelling book pitch into one (no more than two) tweets. Indicate if it’s more than one tweet by using 1/2 and 2/2 so we can piece them together.
3) Post them to Twitter from your public* account using the #carinapitch hashtag (the only way we’ll know they’re for us!) We also suggest using genre hashtags, listed below, to further categorize your submission.
*If your Twitter account is locked/private, we will be unable to see your posts on the hashtag or any @ replies you direct to us. Tweets from private accounts are ONLY viewable to those friends with the account. Your account must be public to participate.
4) Please do not post pitches for one book more than twice during the #carinapitch event. Even if you’re changing your pitch, please pitch the same book no more than twice during the day. Don’t worry, we’re reading every single pitch, so as long as you post it once, we’ll see it! Twice gives you the opportunity to change things up.
5) Watch for a reply/like/favorite from a Carina Press editor.
6) If an editor lets you know that they’d like to see your submission and your manuscript is NOT currently on submission with us:
If an editor lets you know they’d like to see your submission and your manuscript is already in our queue:
NOTES ABOUT #CARINAPITCH
ONE LAST (VERY IMPORTANT) NOTE:
If your pitch isn’t selected by an editor, that doesn’t mean your project isn’t right for us. In the end, it’s the story that will get us to acquire the book, not the pitch, so if you’ve written something we publish, please still submit it to us. We’re always open to submissions, from agented or unagented authors.
*Permission to forward this post, use it on blogs and author forums is granted.*
Angela James @angelajames
Kerri Buckley @BuckleyKerri
Stephanie Doig @StephanieDoig
Deb Nemeth @DebNemeth
Alissa Davis @AlissaDenay
Mackenzie Walton @MackenzieWalton
Carrie Lofty @CarrieLofty
Daphne Watson @mypassionspen
Heather Monroe @coastbold
John Jacobson @DreamingReviews
Kate Marope @TheRibbonMarker
Ronan Sadler @ronanedits
ADDITIONAL SUGGESTED HASHTAGS:
#CR = Contemporary Romance
#DIS = Disability
#DV = Diversity
#ER = Erotic Romance
#F = Fantasy
#HR = Historical Romance
#IRMC = Interracial/Multicultural
#LGBTQ = Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer
#M = Mystery
#OWN = OwnVoices
#POC = People of Color
#PR = Paranormal Romance
#ROMCOM = Romantic Comedy
#RS = Romantic Suspense
#SF = SciFi
#TT = Time Travel
#UF = Urban Fantasy