The Carina Press editorial team is hosting a pitch event for CIMRWA members from Tuesday, July 10th-Thursday, July 12th. We invite you to post your pitch on this private post during this time. All requests will be made on Friday, July 13th.
Full manuscripts are not required. We will be open to proposals during this opportunity.
All requested material will receive editorial feedback, direct from our editors!
This pitch session will be similar to the very popular #carinapitch we held in April, but is open to CIMRWA chapter members only. Our pitch sessions have been very successful events! This year’s #carinapitch event resulted in requests for over 250 manuscripts.
Please read on for details of how the event will work.
On July 10, 2018, at 9am EST, the CIMRWA Pitch Party page will open for comments. Carina Press editors will be monitoring this post for book pitches from authors until midnight EST on July 12, 2018. On July 13, 2018, our editors will make their requests.
ELIGIBILITY TO PARTICIPATE:
1) Your proposed or complete MS must fall within one of the adult fiction genres we publish. (Please view our submissions guidelines here for an overview of genres.)
2) You must be prepared to send your materials by August 24, 2018. Any materials sent after midnight on Friday, August 24th will still be fairly reviewed by editorial staff but won’t be eligible for the feedback.
3) The project you’re pitching must be new material, not previously published material, whether self-published or released via a publisher. Only new material will be considered during this event. We define “previously published” as something that has been available for sale or free download on a retail site. If your book was placed on Wattpad, critique sites or other similar crowd-reading sites, we do not consider that as previously published.
4) The project cannot be one that has previously received a pass letter from Carina Press.
5) You may pitch up to two different projects.
How to participate:
1) Post your pitch as a comment on this Carina Press CIMRWA Pitch Party private blog post which is where the editors will be monitoring the pitches. This page will open to comments at 9am EST on July 10, 2018.
Get ready to submit your pitch in the format below. Please be sure that your query and first 100 words/first paragraph adhere to the word counts below.
Manuscript Word Count or projected word count:
200 maximum word query:
First 100 words or first paragraph of your story:
2) Please do not post pitches for more than one book in the same blog comment. Enter a separate comment for a new book pitch
3) Please do not post your pitch for the same book more than once
4) Watch for a reply from a Carina Press editor on July 13, 2018
5) If an editor lets you know that they’d like to see your submission and your manuscript is NOT currently on submission with us:
If more than one editor asks for your submission, you may choose which editor to send to, though you may also wish to indicate the second editor who had interest, in case the first editor chooses not to read it.
If an editor lets you know they’d like to see your submission and your manuscript is already in our queue:
Additional Notes about the CIMRWA Pitch Party:
ONE LAST (VERY IMPORTANT) NOTE:
If your pitch isn’t selected by an editor, that doesn’t mean your project isn’t right for us. In the end, it’s the story that will get us to acquire the book, not the pitch, so if you’ve written something we publish, please still submit it to us. We’re always open to submissions, from agented or unagented authors.
*Permission to forward this post to all chapter members granted. Please do not forward outside your chapter. If you think someone would like to take advantage of this opportunity, encourage them to join the chapter!*
Angela James @angelajames
Kerri Buckley @BuckleyKerri
Stephanie Doig @StephanieDoig
Deb Nemeth @DebNemeth
Alissa Davis @AlissaDenay
Mackenzie Walton @MackenzieWalton
Carrie Lofty @CarrieLofty
Heather Monroe @coastbold
John Jacobson @DreamingReviews
Kate Marope @TheRibbonMarker
Ronan Sadler @ronanedits