Open Proposal Call: Fall 2018
We’re pleased to announce that we’re opening our submissions to proposals once again. We want to see your WIPs while they’re still in progress—no full manuscripts required to submit!
This proposal call is open to any of the genres we publish, as outlined below. Have a mystery proposal you’ve been dying to pitch? Writing a contemporary romance? Or maybe you’re looking to publish a paranormal romance? We want to read it!
This is an opportunity for you to run your idea by a Carina Press editor without needing a full manuscript. We’re not always able to acquire based on proposal, however, so we may request more pages or even a full manuscript in order to consider it for acquisition. And remember–a good synopsis is crucial when we only have a partial manuscript to review!
Please note that this call is running simultaneously with our Male/Male Romantic Suspense Proposal Call, which has different requirements. Please submit your male/male romantic suspense proposals via that call.
General open proposal call submission link: https://carinapress.submittable.com/submit/75963/open-proposal-call
Closing date: December 3, 2018 (all submissions due by 11:59pm Eastern on this date)
Requirements for this proposal call:
- Your book must fall within any of the romance or mystery genres we publish but can be of any heat level or same-sex/multiple pairings.
- Your proposed book must be a completely new work and not have been previously published in any form, whether self-published, posted on a writing community site (example: Wattpad) or released via digital or traditional publisher. Only new material will be considered during this submission call. If you have a previously published title for consideration, please submit it via our regular submission channels.
- You cannot submit a project you have submitted to Carina Press before.
View this post for the dozens of genres and tropes our editors are eager to read.
Materials needed to participate:
- A detailed query letter with a 3-5 paragraph book description, plus a short introduction of your writing credentials and publishing history.
- A minimum of the first 7,500 words of a WIP. If you have more than 7,500 words, you can certainly send more! Please note that due to a great number of questions received re: desired words per chapter, we’ve revised our guidelines for 2018 to reflect requested word count vs. chapter count.
- A thorough, well-thought-out synopsis that is at least 5 pages or 1,600 words long. The synopsis is extra important with a proposal because we need to see progression of plot, character arc, storyline and, also really crucial—how it ends! See more about writing a synopsis here.
- If you are proposing a series, a brief series outline can also be uploaded. This is not required. Series outlines usually consist of a 2-3 paragraph overview of the series arc, plus a 1-2 paragraph description of each proposed book. Please upload this as a separate document.
- You may submit more than one project! However, please submit only one proposal per series.
- Times New Roman, 12 pt, black font, double spaced.
- Please put your manuscript title and name in the header information on each page of your proposal and synopsis.
How to submit:
- If your book meets the guidelines above and all your material is ready and properly formatted, please use to submit.
- Direct your submission to the editor who has advertised an interest in seeing manuscripts like yours! In doubt? Direct your submission to Editorial Director Angela James, Senior Editor Kerri Buckley, or Associate Editor Stephanie Doig.
- We will consider all proposals that fulfill submission call requirements and are received by midnight EST on December 3, 2018
Not going to be ready in time? Not to worry. We remain open to full manuscript submissions all year long via bit.ly/write4cp, and more special opportunities are coming in 2018.
For questions about this call for submissions, please email us at email@example.com.
For more information about Carina Press, and to read our submission guidelines, please visit bit.ly/write4cp.