Submission Call: Holiday 2019 Proposals
Happy 2019! Like you, the Carina Press team is only now leaving behind the rush of winter holidays … but publishing works far, far in advance. It’s time to launch our first submission call of the year: Holiday Proposals!
For publication in 2019, we’re looking for contemporary romances set against holidays that fall from October to January. Holidays celebrated by all different faiths, belief systems and cultures are included, and books do not need to be set in the United States.
While we’re still interested in Christmas novels, our aim is to read (and publish) far beyond that.
While this is a call for proposals, completed manuscripts should be planned for a minimum of 50,000 words. While we’re looking for only contemporary romances, we will accept all heat levels. As with all of our submissions calls, we welcome #ownvoices authors and authors writing inclusively, including all LGBTQ+ pairings or poly relationships.
General open proposal call submission link: https://carinapress.submittable.com/submit/75265/holiday-proposal-call-2019
Closing date: February 27, 2019 (all submissions due by 11:59pm Eastern on this date)
Requirements for this proposal call:
- Your book must be a contemporary romance but can be of any heat level.
- All LGBTQ+ pairings or poly relationships welcome.
- Your proposed book must be a completely new work and not have been previously available for readers’ consumption in any form, whether self-published, posted (in its entirety; excerpts are fine) on a writing community site (example: Wattpad) or released via digital or traditional publisher. Only new material will be considered during this submission call. If you have a previously published title for consideration, please submit it via our regular submission channels.
- You cannot submit a project you have submitted to Carina Press before.
Materials needed to participate:
- A detailed query letter with a 3-5 paragraph book description, plus a short introduction of your writing credentials and publishing history.
- A minimum of the first 7,500 words of a WIP. If you have more than 7,500 words, you can certainly send more! Please note that due to a great number of questions received re: desired words per chapter, we’ve revised our guidelines as of 2018 to reflect requested word count vs. chapter count.
- A thorough, well-thought-out synopsis that is at least 5 pages or 1,600 words long. The synopsis is extra important with a proposal because we need to see progression of plot, character arc, storyline and, also really crucial—how it ends! See more about writing a synopsis here.
- If you are proposing a series, a brief series outline can also be uploaded. This is not required. Series outlines usually consist of a 2-3 paragraph overview of the series arc, plus a 1-2 paragraph description of each proposed book. Please upload this as a separate document.
- You may submit more than one project! However, please submit only one proposal per series.
- Times New Roman, 12 pt, black font, double spaced.
- Please put your manuscript title and name in the header information on each page of your proposal and synopsis.
How to submit:
- If your book meets the guidelines above and all your material is ready and properly formatted, please use this link to submit.
- Direct your submission to the editor who has advertised an interest in seeing manuscripts like yours! In doubt? Direct your submission to Editorial Director Angela James, Senior Editor Kerri Buckley, or Associate Editor Stephanie Doig.
- We will consider all proposals that fulfill submission call requirements and are received by midnight EST on February 27, 2019.
For questions about this call for submissions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about Carina Press, and to read our submission guidelines, please visit bit.ly/write4cp.