2019 Open Proposal Call!
We’re pleased to announce that we’re opening our submissions to proposals once again. We want to see your WIPs while they’re still in progress—no full manuscripts required to submit!
This proposal call is open to any of the genres we publish, as outlined below. Have a mystery proposal you’ve been dying to pitch? Writing a contemporary romance? Or maybe you’re looking to publish a paranormal romance? We want to read it!
This is an opportunity for you to run your idea by a Carina Press editor without needing a full manuscript. We’re not always able to acquire based on proposal, however, so we may request more pages or even a full manuscript in order to consider it for acquisition. And remember–a good synopsis is crucial when we only have a partial manuscript to review!
Please note: we are actively acquiring for
Carina Adores, our new trope-driven LGBTQ+ contemporary romance line and that
line is always open to submission on proposal. If you have a proposal you’d
like us to consider for Carina Adores, please submit here: https://www.carinapress.com/blog/carina-adores/
Requirements for this proposal call:
- Your book must fall within any of the romance or mystery genres we publish.
- Your proposed book must be a completely new work and not have been previously published in any form, whether self-published, posted on a writing community site (e.g. Wattpad) or released via digital or traditional publisher. Only new material will be considered during this submission call.
- You cannot submit a project you have submitted to Carina Press before.
- We are not currently accepting proposals for The Dirty Bits from Carina Press; please do not submit material for The Dirty Bits to this call.
Check this post for the dozens of genres and tropes our editors are eager to read!
Materials needed to participate:
- A detailed query letter with a 3-5 paragraph book description, plus a short introduction of your writing credentials and publishing history.
- A minimum of the first 7,500 words of a work-in-progress. If you have more than 7,500 words, you can certainly (and definitely should) send more!
- A thorough, well-thought-out synopsis that is at least 5 pages or 1,600 words long. The synopsis is extra important with a proposal because we need to see progression of plot, character arc, storyline and, also really crucial—how it ends! See more about writing a synopsis here.
- If you are proposing a series, a brief series outline can also be uploaded. This is not required. Series outlines usually consist of a 2-3 paragraph overview of the series arc, plus a 1-2 paragraph description of each proposed book. Please upload this as a separate document.
- You may submit more than one project! However, please submit only one proposal per series.
- Times New Roman, 12 pt, black font, double spaced.
- Please put your manuscript title and your name in the header information on each page of your proposal and synopsis.
How to submit:
- If your book meets the guidelines above and all your material is ready and properly formatted, please use this form to submit: https://carinapress.submittable.com/submit/75963/open-proposal-call
- Direct your submission to the editor who has advertised an interest in seeing manuscripts like yours! In doubt? Direct your submission to Editorial Director Angela James, Senior Editor Kerri Buckley, or Associate Editor Stephanie Doig.
- We will consider all proposals that fulfill submission call requirements and are received by 11:59PM EST on July 8th, 2019.
Not going to be ready in time? Not to worry. We remain open to full manuscript submissions all year long, and more special opportunities are coming in 2019.
For more information about Carina Press, and to read our standard submission guidelines, please visit bit.ly/write4cp.
For questions about this call for submissions, please email us at email@example.com.